Sleep. The thing we crave, the thing that sometimes eludes us, frustrates us, pleases us, revives us. We spend so much time in bed but are you spending your mattress time wisely?
Naturopaths often refer to something called sleep hygiene. It is a term used to describe our habits surrounding our bed time routine and how to get the best night’s sleep. Even if you don’t wake in the night, you may still be getting poor quality sleep which leaves you feeling completely un-refreshed in the morning:
Here are some of the basics:
· Seven to eight hours is ideal. In bed by 10 and asleep by 10.30.
· Switching off from technology 30 mins before bed. Artificial light stimulates the release of hormones that we want lower at night. That's right, no phone, iPad, laptop or TV. No working in bed. The bed is for sex and sleep. Try picking up a book instead.
· Room must be completely dark for the release of melatonin.
· Try to maintain your sleep/wake cycle on weekends or days off.
After a few weeks of implementing these strategies, you should be well on your way to consistently restful nights. However, should your body be a little more stubborn, you can utilise these gems:
· Bliss Elixir No.3 Nerve Nectar. This powder whisked into warm milk is very soothing. With Lavender, Chamomile and Scullcap it is particularly beneficial if you can’t sleep due to nervous tension or anxiety. Available in store soon.
· Pure and simple Lavender oil shouldn’t be dismissed. Try 1-2 drops on your pillow.
· Have a hot bath as close to bed time as possible. We recommend adding fragrant salts for maximum benefit. Try Therapie Himalayan Detox Salts for its incredibly relaxing oil blend.
· Our skin does the most repair while we sleep. Allow your skin to make the most out of your slumber by applying a layer of Wildcrafted Organics Rejuvenating Serum for deep hydration or Kypris Moonlight Catalyst for cell renewal.
I get asked so frequently what the best remedy for dark circles is and my answer is always the same- better sleep! And of course, if lack of sleep is a serious problem for you please see a Naturopath or your preferred healthcare practitioner.